Dalrymple Appoints Devils Lake Outlets Advisory Committee Members
WHEREAS, Chapter 61-36 of the North Dakota Century Code created the Devils Lake outlet management advisory committee and charged it with developing an annual operating plan for the operation of the first Devils Lake outlet, subject to amendment and approval by the State Water Commission; and
WHEREAS, the State Water Commission is nearing completion of a second pumped Devils Lake outlet and is simultaneously working on a third gravity flow outlet; and
WHEREAS, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers has constructed a control structure on the Tolna Coulee that is designed to minimize the downstream damage from an uncontrolled overflow of Devils Lake through the Tolna Coulee; and
WHEREAS, these new outlets prompt the need for additional input from a broader group of stakeholders and interested parties.
NOW, THEREFORE, I, Jack Dalrymple, by the authority invested in me as Governor of the State of North Dakota, hereby create the Devils Lake Outlets advisory committee as follows.
- Members of the Devils Lake Outlets advisory committee shall be elected officials, or, where indicated, the designee of an elected official.
- The membership of the committee shall consist of the following:
- The Governor or Governor’s designee, who shall chair the committee
- Representative from Benson County
- Representative from Ramsey County
- Representative from Towner County
- Representative from Nelson County
- Representative from Devils Lake Joint Board
- Representative from Spirit Lake Nation
- Representative from City of Devils Lake
- Representative from Barnes County
- Representative from Valley City
- Representative from Lisbon or Fort Ransom
- Representative from Fargo
- Representative from Grand Forks
- Minnesota Governor or Governor’s designee
- Manitoba Premier or Premier’s designee
- The committee shall advise the Governor and the State Water Commission regarding operation of all Devils Lake outlets according to a comprehensive management plan.
- The committee shall meet at the call of the chairman prior to initial operation of the outlets, or as needed.
- The committee may recommend criteria for operation of each outlet based on outflow volumes, water quality considerations, and the risk of a catastrophic overflow of Devils Lake.
- Any recommendations developed by the committee must receive support from nine of the fifteen members before submission to the Governor or State Water Commission. Any recommendation not receiving majority support but receiving support from at least five members may be submitted as a minority recommendation.
The Governor is vested with the executive authority to issue this Order pursuant to Article V, Section 1 of the North Dakota Constitution.
This Order is effective immediately and will continue until further order of the Governor.
Executed in Bismarck, North Dakota this 25th day of April, 2012.