nd.gov - The Official Portal for North Dakota State Government
North Dakota: Legendary. Follow the trail of legends

Dalrymple Seeks Six-Month Extension for FEMA Housing Mission in Minot

BISMARCK, N.D. - Gov. Jack Dalrymple and the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has announced that Dalrymple is seeking a six-month extension of the temporary housing program provided to Minot-area residents who were displaced by last year’s historic Mouse River flood.

Dalrymple sent a letter to FEMA Regional Director Robin Finegan on Wednesday, requesting the temporary housing extension. The Governor’s request is supported by Senator Kent Conrad, Senator John Hoeven and Congressman Rick Berg. FEMA’s temporary housing mission in Minot is set to end Dec. 24, 2012. Dalrymple is requesting a six-month extension which would allow FEMA’s temporary housing units to remain in use in Minot through June 24, 2013.

“Last year’s flooding along the Mouse River was unprecedented and in its wake we have about 1,200 households that continue to make arrangements for permanent housing,” Dalrymple said. “FEMA’s temporary housing program is providing a critical service in our on-going flood recovery process. The extensive flood damage necessitates that FEMA provide our displaced residents with more time to transition into permanent housing.”

Following the flood, more than 2,000 Ward County households relied on FEMA’s mobile housing units for temporary housing.

“We are keenly aware of the housing situation in the Souris Valley,” said FEMA Disaster Recovery Coordinator Dan Alexander. “Specialists from our housing office in Minot meet with families every day. Our focus has been and remains the individuals and households residing in the temporary housing units and working with local officials as they develop a permanent housing solution.”

 

600 East Boulevard Avenue
Bismarck, ND 58505-0001
Phone: 701.328.2200 Fax: 701.328.2205